Sunday, March 26, 2006

Attention Must Be Paid

Tribune and News publisher John Tucker takes pen in hand once again this Sunday, after a one-week hiatus, to discuss the state of electoral play and the role of our local newspapers in the mix.

As a former print journalist, I continue to immerse myself in the intricate state of journalism in the 21st Century. Had I never entered the field, I still think I would be fascinated by newspapers and how each chooses to serve its readership.

I married a journalist and I've fathered a journalist. Their accomplishments far outshadow mine, although I have wound up spending more years behind a newsroom keyboard than both of them combined. I take pride in having a part in making our daily news Web site the "best" in the state of Florida, against some of the most well-resourced newspaper giants in the world. Garnering that award made it possible for me to declare "game over" and begin this new journey north of the Mason-Dixon line.

The nugget of wisdom I take from Mr. Tucker's Sunday gem is this: Attention must be paid. I wholeheartedly agree, and so state, ad infinitum. With elections pending, Tucker promises to make it impossible for voters to ignore the issues and candidates. Well, better late than never, I say. Tucker says "We believe this is what a community paper can do better than any other form of media - make a positive impact on their community by informing and promoting about local topis of interest and importance."

John, I agree. You can do it better. And we're all heartened to see your pledge to do so. I continue to maintain that the more who pay attention - and the sooner and more often - the sooner we can rid this city of the impediments to progress.

------------------

Local columnist Linden Dodd makes some strong points in the lead opinion piece, "Be careful what you wish for."

The key pull-quote? "You cannot ever convince a stupid person they are wrong."

------------------

It has been six months since publisher Tucker pledged improvements to The Tribune, which (now it can be revealed) he gauged to be the newspaper he had encountered that was most in need of resuscitation. In this soon-to-be-absorbed blogger's opinion, the Sunday edition has now become that "indispensable" organ we have long yearned for. If you fail to (at least) start reading the Sunday editions, you have only yourself to blame. The editors and reporters have done their job, at least on Sundays. Now, if you value a local press, you'll come back to The Tribune.

1 Comments:

Blogger The New Albanian said...

Agreed with respect to the Sunday paper. Today's front section was a good read.

Sunday, March 26, 2006 5:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home