Sunday, October 02, 2005

Duty

I did a little reading this weekend. I recommend it.

Reading stirs creativity. It challenges belief systems. It often is the incubator for new ideas. And it always leaves the reader mentally more fit.

One commentator this weekend tried to define the duties of the social contract between government (and its officials) and the people.

In light of the ongoing attempts by the Gang of Four and their automatic chorus of paid and unpaid supporters to halt progress in New Albany by polluting the air with lies and confusion, the concept of the social contract suggests itself as a noble topic for this blogger.

We’ll make this a work in process, and we invite your comments and suggestions for what ought to be part of the municipal obligations of elected officials. I envision it as a series of dos and don’ts, and can imagine it being the type of public pledge that a few incumbents would make while some others would decline to make it. Of course, there would then be those who abstain.

Help me out. We might just make this formal.

1. When evaluating, funding, and operating essential public services, I will always be a good steward of public monies. I will not use my power to protect any person or group of persons at the expense of the public good. I will not use my power to enrich any person or group of persons at the expense of the public good.

2. As part of my stewardship, I will always seek to provide essential public services in the most economical fashion, subject to public safety and health. When considering the options, I will not seek to protect long-entrenched interests at the expense of the public purse. If I believe that the service can be provided most economically by one method, I will not choose to support a more costly alternative in order to protect or enrich any person or group of persons at the expense of the public. I acknowledge that “we’ve always done it this way” is no legitimate reason for retaining a costly method of delivering services. Public money is too scarce and dear to be used as a patronage tool.

3. Effectiveness will be my guideline. As public goals are set and delineated, I will always seek the most effective means of achieving those goals.

Let’s stop there, for now. This ought to be a collaborative effort. Send me your suggestions by e-mail and we’ll try to figure out what other things should be added to this pledge. Incumbents and prospective candidates are particularly invited to contribute to this public discussion.

4 Comments:

Blogger The New Albanian said...

During council meetings, I will follow the lead of the European Parliament in following rules of order, and limiting myself to two minutes when speaking, respecting the chair's right to enforce this limit.

Call it the Coffey Clause.

Monday, October 03, 2005 8:32:00 AM  
Blogger Jeff Gillenwater said...

Understanding that intelligence, creativity, and communication collectively form the foundation of progress, increasing educational and cultural opportunities for city residents will be a hallmark of my tenure.

Monday, October 03, 2005 4:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did a little reading this weekend, actually looking at an article about some old guy in New Albany that owns a bookstore. Nice article in Louisville Magazine Randy and Annie. Worthy pitch from a good local publication.

Monday, October 03, 2005 8:50:00 PM  
Blogger All4Word said...

Thanks for the kind words, anonymous...but no one has ever survived calling my lovely bride "Annie."

My wife is Ann, no pet names allowed.

And, as it stands, I still haven't seen the article referred to.

Old guy?

Monday, October 03, 2005 11:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home